back to S1S home

Sunday, May 7, 2017

#369 Bulk and the surface

Considering properties of semiconductor material in the form of the wafer for instance, it would be a mistake to consider it as a perfectly homogenous piece of the solid. In reality, distinction between its bulk and its surface needs to be made. That is because physical characteristics between these two parts of semiconductor material very significantly.

In general terms, surface is an exterior face of the solid and represents two-dimensional termination of fundamental characteristics displayed by the three-dimensionally distributed atoms in the bulk of the sample. In the case of crystals, surface also represents an abrupt discontinuity of crystal structure. In contrast to the atoms in the bulk, atoms on the open surface have by definition at least one bond unsaturated. Such unsaturated (dangling) bonds at the surface are electrically active and unless neutralized these bonds will feature electric charge commonly referred to as surface states which will cause changes in the distribution of electric charge in the sub-surface region of semiconductor. Furthermore, atoms on the surface are the only ones that are exposed to and interacting with an ambient. Such interactions affect surface characteristics and induce their instabilities.

This is just a rough illustration of the reasons for which surface and bulk properties of semiconductor are drastically different. More on this, and related topics on the other occasion.

Posted by Jerzy Ruzyllo at 02:13 PM | Semiconductors | Comments (7) | Link

Comments

Posted by Spotify Premium Apk Download  on Friday, March 10, 2017 04:16 AM | #
spotify premium apk full version with full premium features
download music no root needed. spotify premium android apk f
ull unlocked spotify ...

Posted by food near me  on Sunday, September 24, 2017 09:18 AM | #
I''m glad that one came to your blog, so much interesting an
d useful I''ve learned since

Posted by true religion  on Saturday, October 14, 2017 11:07 PM | #
There may be noticeably a bundle to learn about this. I assu
me you made certain nice factors in options also.

Posted by Adidas Originals NMD City Sock Primeknit Womens Running Shoes Black S79153  on Sunday, October 15, 2017 06:07 PM | #
I and my guys happened to be going through the good points o
n your site while immediately I had an awful feeling I had n
ot thanked you for those tips. The boys came so thrilled to
learn them and have in fact been taking pleasure in them. Ap
preciate your indeed being quite helpful as well as for pick
ing out some extraordinary things most people are really eag
er to understand about. My sincere regret for not expressing
appreciation to you sooner.

Posted by yeezys  on Sunday, October 15, 2017 09:32 PM | #
I truly wanted to develop a small note to be able to express
gratitude to you for all of the fabulous guides you are giv
ing out on this site. My prolonged internet search has at th
e end of the day been paid with wonderful concept to exchang
e with my great friends. I ''d declare that we readers are t
ruly blessed to live in a fantastic website with so many won
derful people with interesting hints. I feel pretty lucky to
have come across your entire webpages and look forward to m
any more amazing moments reading here. Thanks once more for
everything.

Posted by nike dunks  on Sunday, October 15, 2017 10:10 PM | #
you''ve got an ideal weblog right here! would you wish to ma
ke some invite posts on my blog?

Posted by ultra boost  on Monday, October 16, 2017 08:27 PM | #
I simply had to thank you very much once again. I am not sur
e the things I could possibly have achieved in the absence o
f the type of tricks documented by you about this theme. Thi
s has been the scary situation in my view, but finding out y
our expert approach you resolved it took me to leap over gla
dness. Now i''m grateful for the advice and as well , wish y
ou are aware of a great job you were carrying out instructin
g men and women using your web blog. Most probably you''ve n
ever met any of us.

Name*

Email*

URL

Comment*

Enter text and numbers shown below to reduce SPAM *

*Required

Semi1source.com/blog is the personal blog of Jerzy Ruzyllo. With over 35 years of experience in academic research and teaching in the area of semiconductor engineering (currently holding position of a Distinguished Professor of Electrical Engineering and Professor of Materials Science and Engineering at Penn State University), he has a unique perspective on the developments in this progress driving technical domain and enjoys blogging about it.

With over 2000 terms defined and explained, Semiconductor Glossary is the most complete reference in the field of semiconductors on the market today.

‹‹ October 2017 ››
W Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa Su
39 1
40 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
41 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
42 16 17 18 19 20 21 22
43 23 24 25 26 27 28 29
44 30 31

Copyright © 2017 J. Ruzyllo. All rights reserved.