back to S1S home

Sunday, April 2, 2017

#367 Crystal structure

As alluded to in the last two blogs, crystal structure of semiconductors plays an important role in defining their key physical characteristics, charge transport characteristics in particular.  Discussion of the crystal structure of solids is concerned with the way atoms comprising a solid are spatially distributed and bonded. An underlying consideration in this regard is the extent to which this distribution is ordered and the geometrical nature of the ensuing crystalline order.

In terms of crystallographic order, two distinct classes of solids are represented by (i) crystals featuring periodic long-range order and (ii) non-crystalline materials, commonly referred to as amorphous materials in which, in contrast to crystals, atomic arrangement exhibits no periodicity or long-range order.  Among crystals, single-crystal and poly-crystalline/multicrystalline materials are distinguished.  In the former case, periodic long-range order is maintained throughout the entire piece of material while in the latter case such order is maintained only within the limited in volume grains which are randomly connected to form a solid.  As mentioned earlier, amorphous, non-crystalline materials do not feature a long-range order at all.

As it can be expected, amorphous semiconductors feature inferior charge transport characteristics as compare to their crystalline counterparts, single-crystal in particular.  On the other hand, being uniquely compatible with thin-film device technology amorphous semiconductors play key role in several important applications.

Posted by Jerzy Ruzyllo at 04:11 PM | Semiconductors | Comments (8) | Link

Comments

Posted by iphone 5 wallpapers  on Wednesday, September 13, 2017 06:04 AM | #
The iPhone X dominated the web circles yesterday, despite th
ere being two other iPhone launches on the same day.

Posted by Assignment Master Australia  on Sunday, September 17, 2017 09:03 PM | #
Thanks a lot for sharing it, that�s truly has added a lot to
our knowledge about this topic. Have a more successful day.

Posted by little caesars near me  on Sunday, September 24, 2017 09:20 AM | #
As always, your article is short but it reflects the whole e
ssence of what is happening, I really like your notes, I wis
h good luck to your blog

Posted by adidas nmd  on Sunday, October 15, 2017 11:20 AM | #
I precisely wanted to thank you very much once again. I am n
ot sure the things I would have achieved without the type of
solutions contributed by you relating to such subject. Enti
rely was the traumatic condition in my opinion, but noticing
the professional style you processed that took me to weep w
ith delight. I''m thankful for this help and in addition hav
e high hopes you really know what an amazing job you have be
en undertaking teaching other individuals by way of a blog.
I know that you''ve never come across all of us.

Posted by adidas nmd  on Sunday, October 15, 2017 07:51 PM | #
An fascinating dialogue is worth comment. I think that you n
eed to write extra on this subject, it may not be a taboo to
pic however generally people are not sufficient to talk on s
uch topics. To the next. Cheers

Posted by appvn apk  on Monday, October 16, 2017 05:24 AM | #
appvn apk Appvn is the best apk available in the andro
id market

Posted by adidas ultra boost  on Monday, October 16, 2017 10:43 AM | #
Thank you a lot for giving everyone an extraordinarily brill
iant chance to discover important secrets from this website.
It is usually so kind and packed with fun for me personally
and my office colleagues to search your web site no less th
an 3 times every week to learn the newest tips you have. Not
to mention, I am just certainly satisfied considering the b
rilliant hints served by you. Certain 1 areas in this postin
g are easily the most effective we have ever had.

Posted by asics sneakers  on Monday, October 16, 2017 06:43 PM | #
I''m usually to blogging and i actually admire your content.
The article has really peaks my interest. I''m going to boo
kmark your site and hold checking for new information.

Name*

Email*

URL

Comment*

Enter text and numbers shown below to reduce SPAM *

*Required

Semi1source.com/blog is the personal blog of Jerzy Ruzyllo. With over 35 years of experience in academic research and teaching in the area of semiconductor engineering (currently holding position of a Distinguished Professor of Electrical Engineering and Professor of Materials Science and Engineering at Penn State University), he has a unique perspective on the developments in this progress driving technical domain and enjoys blogging about it.

With over 2000 terms defined and explained, Semiconductor Glossary is the most complete reference in the field of semiconductors on the market today.

‹‹ October 2017 ››
W Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa Su
39 1
40 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
41 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
42 16 17 18 19 20 21 22
43 23 24 25 26 27 28 29
44 30 31

Copyright © 2017 J. Ruzyllo. All rights reserved.